Elan Valley Rangers
TRY A RANGER SAFARI!
Our knowledgeable Rangers would be delighted to accompany you on your visit. You will see so much you may otherwise miss. It's the ideal way to make the most of your day. For more information please contact our Rangers on 01597 810880 or email us.
Our knowledgeable Rangers would be delighted to accompany you on your visit. You will see so much you may otherwise miss. It's the ideal way to make the most of your day. For more information please pick up one of our events guides to find out what events we are running or check out the “What's On” part of the website or contact our Rangers on 01597 810880 or email us.
The team of Rangers carries out practical nature conservation work, as well as writing management plans, leaflets and other wildlife information and also helping the many visitors to the Elan Estate to enjoy and appreciate the countryside and its wildlife. The Education Ranger guides schools in their field studies. There are more than twenty wildlife information panels around the Estate. All of the different habitats are covered through 180km of leafleted and way-marked walks as well as the Cnwch Wood Nature Trail and the Elan Valley Trail. Rangers have put up more than 300 nest-boxes for Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts, Tits and Tawny Owls as well as 50 bat-boxes.
The area of the Elan Estate is 180 square kilometres; it has 12 Sites of Special Scientific Interest, a National Nature Reserve and many rare species of animal and plant. It attracts more than 400,000 visitors per year. The work of an Elan Valley Ranger is therefore very varied and generally comes under three headings:
Practical Estate Management
- Looking after and repairing existing footpaths and recreation areas.
- Opening up and creating new paths and trails.
- Practical wildlife conservation management.
- Keeping picnic areas, rivers, reservoir shores and roadsides free from litter.
- Leading and assisting schools and colleges with their environmental work and visits to the Estate.
- Leading guided walks, wildlife and family events, giving talks and lectures.
- Research and production of interpretive materials such as leaflets, displays and interpretative panels.
- Looking after the Visitor Centre exhibition and audio visual programmes.
- Replying to enquiries about the Elan Valley. Providing advice, suggestions and information to the public and institutions.
- Looking after all of the wildlife, the 12 SSSIs and the 800 hectare Claerwen National Nature Reserve.
- Patrolling of the Estate so as to protect the water supply and prevent illegal and damaging activities.
The Ranger Team are based at the Visitor Centre all year round and are happy to deal with any enquiries you may have. Please feel free to drop in at our office, or call us on (01597) 810880.
Our team includes an Environmental Education Ranger who can assist with any educational visits to the Estate, be that Primary or Secondary schools, colleges and Universities. There is information and advice for your own self-guided visit, to providing Ranger-led activities and tours. Click here for further information about our education programmes or telephone the Education Ranger on (01597) 810390.